Monday, November 28, 2016

Rib Cage spreader and Zip Saw

All of have a bone saw in our back pack but I am here to tell you that it is not the way to go in order to split the pelvic bone. A few Christmases ago I got a Zip Saw. It is two metal handles with a metal saw wire the stretches between the handle. The first time I used this I was absolutely amazed at how fast it cut through the pelvic bone. I am pretty sure that it only took me about 5 seconds to do it. The second time that I used this I produced the same results. The only thing is that it can get kind of messy. It has the tendency to pull through quickly right at the end and give you a celebratory blood shower. I have done about 10 deer with one wire before it broke. The replacement wires are ten bucks at Cabelas which is reasonably priced for being able to do ten deer. The metal handles can be very difficult to feed through the butt which it very frustrating when trying to gut the deer. The tool I use after this is the Outdoor Edge rib cage spreader. This is two stainless steel rods that expand the rib cage. I have noticed a huge difference in how fast my deer cool now when compared to when I did not use this. This is a must have in every hunter’s pack. The trick to this is getting it in-between the ribs of the deer, if you do not do this then the spreader will simply pop up. Being stainless steel the Outdoor Edge rib cage spreader cleans up very easily. This tool is perfect for early season. It opens the deer up nicely and opens the deer up so much that it allows for a few bags of ice to be laid on to the meat so that it can be cooled. These two items are defiantly a must have. Ever since picking up these items, my field dressing experiences have improved greatly. I refuse to gut a deer without having both of these products with me  

No comments:

Post a Comment